Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What To Do When You Hit Walls







I have been preparing to release a full CD for some time now and I have finally come up with a date....March 29, 2012. But it seems like this last month has been a struggle.

My mind is all over the place! And at times I get so overwhelmed with what I need to do, that I just don't want to do anything at all. But I know that does not accomplish anything. 

When I started social media on July 5th of this year, I hit the ground hard and took off in a full sprint. It was great to feel productive every day. It encouraged me to want to learn more about it so I could excel and then eventually help other artists. 

But as fall began to approach, I saw a shift. It is like seeing no fruits of your labor and I began to dwindle. The thing about social media is that once you start, you have to keep it up and become creative so you are not giving the same old boring things that people will easily tire of. So even though I wanted to, quitting was not an option.

I know I have a short attention span for the same old thing, so I had to think of new and interesting topics, blogs and videos to share with my public. In short, God began to give me great ideas! And often times He would also give them to my friend and branding consultant Kellie.

We would begin to collaborate and put everything to paper with precise and reachable deadlines. I then could see some things began to pick up. But as I moved forward it seemed to come to a stand still. I could feel the discouragment and dissapointment begin to set in and I started to withdraw myself from everything.

It was like hitting a brick wall over and over that was too high to climb. Connections that looked promising to get this CD project going and finished were beginning to fade into non existant relationships. Now it feels like nothing is progressing.

I fight daily to not get into a place of depression and anger. I have to continually speak positive declarations and God's word to myself to keep me from giving up. You find that people you thought cared, really don't. And people talk a good 'I care for you and I'm here when you need me' talk, however the actions don't match up. But...that's life right?

But in all this, it makes me take a look at self and see how I can be a blessing to others who are going through the same thing. Even though I can't see light on this road for me right now, I know I have gifts that will help others to be encouraged in their time of need. And sometimes in blessing others and taking the focus off of self, you find joy.

Sometimes we push so hard for our agenda. We totally forget that God knows what's best for us in our current season. The answer is always available to us if we're listening. So I will stop....and listen.
Hope you will too.



There is no road that is bump free.
No river without ripples.
No life that doesn't have changes.
But what I have learned this far is that there is a time for everything (Ecclesiates 3:1).
And the best thing to do when you hit a wall is to see what God is saying.

1 comment:

  1. Christyl,

    This is your most profound post yet! Oh, how it blessed me so. I know exactly how you feel. I have been working and studying branding since April of 2010. It is a process... a learning process and as with anything worth having takes time to master. As with anything productive, it is filled with challenges. It is filled with lessons and with consistency, it is filled with triumphs.

    You are so right about focusing on helping others. That is what I love about marketing and personal branding. Actually, it is not about you. It is about identifying what God has given you to provide and share with others. That is often very hard for many of us to do because we live in a capitalistic, materialistic society where the focus is always on what we need and what we want, rather than how we can give back to others.

    So,I just want you to encourage you. Know that every single person who has truly made an impact in the lives of others has has their own personal struggles to overcome. It is through those struggles, that refining, that he or she was able to minister to others in his/her own way.

    And so it shall be with you. As you become clearer and clearer about where you are going, the roads you must travel to get there will also be revealed. There will be rainy days, storms, hail, sleet, snow, and yes, even sunshine as you travel, but just be prepared with the proper gear and keep it moving.

    Yes, it is okay to pull over to a rest stop to take a needed break or even to be shielded from the unsafe driving conditions, but never ever keep your eyes off of your final destination.

    God has called you. He is with you, so be confident of this very thing that He who has begun a good work in you shall perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)

    Love always,
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete