Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Why Tomorrow? Start Today!



It is so easy to put off what is important. We say day after day, "I'll do it tomorrow" or "I'll start next year". You find yourself saying "I'll start on Monday" every week until you have let a year go by without completing that task you set out to do.


This problem could be for losing weight, starting a business or project, calling someone that has been on your mind (and probably for good reason), and you still continue to say what you should do instead of what you can do right now. This is nothing but unadulterated procrastination. The root of that stem is FEAR!


This was me in the past. I would put things off until I eventually either didn't do it at all or by the time I did do it, it was out of season and too late. I was the 'Monday' person about everything, as if Monday was some magical day that would supernaturally pull a finished, un-worked-for project out of a hat and everything would be all better. Yeah right!


If I was too fearful to do it today, then what is going to change about Monday, next year or even the next day if I don't change my mind set and put fear in its place....which is beneath me. Every Monday came and I would be good for 2 or maybe 3 days and be right back to where I started...."I'll start on Monday".


Fear is an immobilizer and procrastination is it's right hand man! It will keep you in a stagnate place, like a hamster running on a wheel, in a cage, and going nowhere FAST! I know this seems dramatic, but you have to know that when we put the important things off for a later date, instead of doing them now, we are only hurting ourselves.


Take the 'I'll start on..." out of your vocabulary and just start doing. No more talk! Talk is cheap if you are not putting works with it. Let's make a change today and just do it! (whatever that "it" is for you). You have a responsibility to yourself to be the best you you can be right now.


Don't let fear tell you where to go (which is nowhere), you tell it where to go. YOU have been given the authority and power to change your current position into a promotion, if you believe it. You are more of a force moving, than standing still. So why wait until tomorrow to start? Take your first step now and start today!

4 comments:

  1. Good article. My motto is: "Everything you do today has an effect on your tomorrow. So live your life today like you want your tomorrow to be."

    Gerald Little

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that motto Gerald! That statement is so true, powerful and effective. Everyone should live with that mindset if they want progress in all areas of their lives. Thanks for the comment.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christyl,

    I can totally relate to this post. I have always had a problem with procrastination. I found that it happens more often with things I need to do, but don't really want to invest the time or effort in doing. Exercise, eating properly consistently, grading papers, responding to work emails, folding and putting up clothes, and even keeping in contact with family and friends on a regular basis can fall under the procrastination spell.

    Although, I seem to not have this problem when it comes to academics and learning about things related to my business, I still have a lot of improving to do in this area.

    Thanks for being so real and sharing such relevant thought-provoking content.

    Blessings,
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Kellie for the awesome comment!!

    ReplyDelete