Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Healing Souls Through Music




What is one thing that is loved by everyone but also can meet the needs of totally different people? MUSIC.

I remember sitting in my room as a young girl listening to great sounds of soul, rock and rap from the radio's speakers. It was as if ever song could transport me to a different place and mood that the last could not. 

I remember thinking about my little crush at the time when I would hear 'I Wanna Be Your Man' by Roger. Or wanting to put on lace gloves and jewelry every time I heard Madonna's 'Material Girl'. But when I came into my teens I felt as if I could be a hard core, no nonsense chick with a bandanna around my head and black 'Loc" glasses on when I listened to Snoop Dogg's ...... ok, any of his music. :-)

But I was always raised around gospel music too. And the mood that would transpire from that would be soul changing. 

All music has an effect on us whether we like it or not. It can change the very presence of your mood and demeanor. And that is why we have the ability as singers (and more so, praise and worshipers), to set the atmosphere to be conducive to change lives. 


It's not just the song chosen or the singer singing it. It is the very essence of the spirit and conviction that goes behind the song and comes from the artist. That is what connects the song to the audience like no other. 


We all have heard a song so many times that were performed by different singers and in many versions, but the one that hits you deep is the person that has the conviction and the spirit of what they are singing. This could be in secular or christian music. 


So when you sing, what ever is in your spirit will transpire through the music and then to the audience. That's why it is very important to sing in your (spiritually chosen) genre. Then that will allow your message to go over more accurately and powerfully when you minister in song or perform (for those that sing secular). 


I will end with this. Remember music is your interpretation of what you want to communicate about your mind, spirit, self and beliefs, to your audience. And if you are a worship leader this is something to really look at, because you want to make sure your spirit is not confusing the message or tone of the song. 


You have a duty as a worshiper to heal the soul through music (with God working inside of you). But if your heart is secular then be true to self and sing that, and that's fine. But let's not continue to confuse the people when our spirit and desires are different from the message. 


Remember.......we worshipers are healing souls through music.


No comments:

Post a Comment