Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Beat the Odds



Nothing is more compelling than beating the odds. When everything is against you and everyone says you can't, you do it and do it well.

I remember when I worked in corporate, my boss brought my team into a meeting and said that if anyone processed 40 payments before noon could go home early.

Well me, always loving a challenge, set my mind to prove it could be done (plus I wanted to go home, lol).
While everyone complained and shared every problem that could keep a person from completing the task, I went back to my desk and commenced to proving them wrong.

Needless to say I (was the only one who) finished my 40 payments by 11:45 am. I walked in and boasted to my boss, who in shock couldn't believe his ears, checked my daily record to find it was true.

It is amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it. So it makes you wonder what is really important to us, or what is the problem (mind set) that stops us from moving ahead.

Remembering this story makes me take a look at the things I need to do and why I haven't started or completed them yet.

The answer is .....ok I really don't know. But what it does is makes me take a good look at myself and ask, "is it fear or laziness?", "procrastination or lack of motivation"? Or could it be a little bit of all the above.
I, today, have challenged myself to complete at least 1 task a day. Not half doing it, but totally committing to it until the end.

Whether it's house work, homework, music, social media or calling someone that's been on my mind for a while. All it takes is 1 step at a time. Who knows, I just may beat the odds and complete EVERYTHING on my to do "Life" List. I'll keep you posted.
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.10

No comments:

Post a Comment