Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Secrets to Destiny Series: Know Who You Are




The most important thing we can do in life is KNOW THY SELF! Knowing self is actually easier than we believe it to be. We exhibit characteristics of ourselves all the time in every day life. It is our likes and dislikes that generate emotions that turn to actions, therefore reflecting the part of us which is the true essence of who we are.


It took me years to figure out exactly who I was and what I wanted to do in life. I went from one profession to another and continued to add little quirks to my personality that would clone a person I thought was likable. One day I took a good look at each of my mannerisms and began to see me, as oppose to what I gleaned from past and present (at that time) relationships.


I had to strip away the addition personality traits to reveal the real me. I began to get a glimpse of who I was created to be. This helped me to see myself through God's eyes, which affirmed in me, that I was wonderfully and fearfully made. (Psalms 139:14)


Why is this important?
Because in order for you to move forward in your destiny, you need to know who you are. This is the foundation to succeeding in anything! It will direct you to making the right decisions during the most important times of your life.


How does this affect me as an artist?
Whether secular or christian, you have a obligation to your followers to be honest about who you are. There are too many out there that say they are one thing but the songs they sing tell another story.
You don't want to confuse people with your lifestyle or message. If you love singing secular, then sing it whole heartily. If you know without a doubt you are a gospel singer, then don't let anyone talk you into something else. You always have a choice!


Is there anything wrong with one or the other? No! Absolutely not. The most successful artists are being themselves in their music and in life (with a few exceptions). There is no confusion.


There are however, many artists that sing both (crossover music) and are very successful. They don't go from one extreme to the other (Explicit to Gospel and then back to Explicit). They stand firm on their beliefs and who they are. This is what makes them a success.


The best medicine for finding yourself is to pay attention to your life, mannerisms and attitudes. Learn from your likes and dislikes and embrace what you see after removing layer by layer of what you have learned from others along the way. Begin to see yourself in the pure state of how you were created to be, and keep in mind that you were created in God's image (perfectly and wonderfully made) with the mind of Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment