Monday, November 14, 2011

"No" Is Not the Enemy




When I was a child I remember wanting to go spend the night with a friend and having to ask my mom for approval. Instead of a positive anticipation, I feared the possibility of "no". You would think this word would be a death sentence, but all it was was a  mere "no".


For me it was like 'no' was the enemy. It was rejection and a mirror of what I could not have. As if life was taunting me with things that I desired but seemed as if it would never be.


As I began to mature I started to see that 'no' was not the enemy or a dead end, but it was more of a delay in some cases. Just like when my mom said no, it didn't mean ever, just not today. But eventually I would be able to go to my friend's house.


Because of my past, false perception of what 'no' really meant, I began to detest the very word. There seemed to be no redemption if I was turned down for a position. Or if I couldn't have ice cream, I thought I would not make it through the night (ok this an exaggeration but you know what I mean).


But what I realized was no one had the power to keep me from anything but me and God. And God doesn't withhold from me, but he just simply knows the right time and way for me to receive those things that I desire.


Me on the other hand, I could mess myself up just by letting the 'nos' discourage me from ever trying anything again. And all because I didn't understand them.


Paying attention to the order of things, I would finally see that "no" could be a great friend. Sometimes it would protect me from things unseen.


When I was 17, I remember making plans to go to a party with some friends. I asked my mother in advance and she said it would be fine. The night of the party my friend called to tell me she was on her way.


After I hung up the phone, my mom came in my room and told me she didn't have a good feeling about this one and I should stay home. Knowing my mom and how liberal she was in letting me go out, I didn't question it. I called my friend and told her I was going to pass for the night. I didn't think anything of it. I took off my clothes, jumped in the bed and watched a movie.

I spoke with my friend the next day and she told me some gang members crashed the party and started shooting. Thank God no one was killed, but I noticed right then and there that my "no" to going out was a "yes" to my life possibly being saved.


It is amazing how we perceive things. We think God isn't answering our prayers because we have yet to receive what we want. Or, because God told us "no" to what looks like a good opportunity.


We wonder if we're being punished for doing something wrong because he is not allowing these blessings to manifest now. But this is NOT TRUE!


Let's change our perception right now! Make a conscience decision to know that "No" does not always mean no forever. It can also mean.....


  • Not now.
  • Protection.
  • Greater is for you.
  • Your character is being built.
  • This (particular thing) is not for you.
  • It will be yes when you're ready.



There is so much more to that word than what we've been taught. It is not a bad word or the end of the world.


Sometimes you will meet a lot of "no" to get to the big "Yes!". Why? Because "No" is not the enemy, it's just a bridge to something greater.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

No comments:

Post a Comment